這首歌是主唱Pat Monahan 在某天夜裡,想起癌症過世的母親,突然福至心靈所寫下的。當他媽癌末時,Train這個樂團也正處於要紅不紅的時期,有巡演的機會必須要把握,所以無法留在他媽身邊。據說當時Pat連手機都買不起,所以每次車子停在休息站,就忙著打電話給他媽。
後來,母親過世之後,樂團與Pat仍然處於低潮,直到有一天晚上Pat睡不著覺,突然想起他媽,寫下了這首歌之後,樂團就爆紅了。這首歌之所以感動很多人,是因為裡面有個迷惘的孩子,在絕望無助的時候,向自己的內心尋找,看到了一個愛他又堅強的母親。
Drops Of Jupiter
原唱者:Train
發行年:2001
Now that she's back in the atmosphere
(現在,她要從宇宙返回地球了)
With drops of Jupiter in her hair, hey
(她的髮絲,還黏著木星的碎片)
(因為這是我的部落格,所以放我自己唱的)
She acts like summer and walks like rain
(不管是夏日,或是雨天也好,我感覺她在空氣裡,永遠在我身旁)
Reminds me that there's a time to change, hey
(我相信,我還年輕,我能改變自己)
Since the return from her stay on the moon
(我知道,這次她又去了月球,剛從那裡回來)
She listens like spring and she talks like June, hey, hey
(春去秋來又一年,我知道她還是在我身邊)
But tell me, did you sail across the sun?
(不過,我很好奇,妳曾經到過太陽那兒嗎?)
Did you make it to the Milky Way
(妳也去過銀河那裡看過了吧?)
To see the lights all faded And that heaven is overrated?
(我知道的,銀河一定沒有我想的那麼燦爛,天堂也沒那麼好)
Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star? One without a permanent scar
(那,妳看到流星的時候,有愛上它嗎?在宇宙看到的流星,也像地球上看到的一樣,那麼刻骨銘心嗎?)
And then you missed me while you were looking for yourself out there?
(當妳在宇宙探索的時候,會想念我嗎?)
Now that she's back from that soul vacation tracing her way through the constellation, hey
(現在她在宇宙的追尋,已經結束了。於是,她踏著星座的軌跡回到我身邊)
She checks out Mozart while she does Tae-Bo
(她沉靜堅定的心提醒了我)
(註:作Tae-bo這種運動時,通常會放Hi-Hop的音樂。但媽媽的心中,響起的卻是節奏穩定的莫扎特音樂。故本句暗示,母親的內心堅定,不受嘈雜的外界噪音影響)
Reminds me that there's room to grow, hey
(我知道,我還不夠成熟)
Now that she's back in the atmosphere
(她現在就在我身邊)
I'm afraid that she might think of me as Plain ol' Jane told a story about a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land
(她看得出來,我的無理抱怨,正顯示我的脆弱)
But tell me, did the wind sweep you off your feet?
(不要再講我了。妳告訴我好不好,妳是怎麼飛起來的呢?是風把妳捲上天空嗎?)
Did you finally get the chance To dance along the light of day
(那妳有與陽光共舞嗎?)
And head back to the Milky Way?
(跳完這一支舞後,就要回去銀河-你的家鄉了嗎?)
And tell me, did Venus blow your mind?
(當妳看到心中的女神時,妳也體會過六神無主的感覺嗎?)
(註:雙關語,Venus=金星=女神)
Was it everything you wanted to find?
(你在宇宙星河裡,也在尋找什麼嗎?)
And then you missed me While you were looking for yourself out there
(妳有想念過我嗎?)
Can you imagine no love, pride,deep-fried chicken
(除了妳之外,也沒有人會再為我感到驕傲了, 更沒有人會再買肯德基給我吃)
(註:在作者的文化中,炸雞是父母親常買給小孩吃的comfort food,所以這種食物在這裡,暗示著『愛與體貼』)
Your best friend always sticking up for you even when I know you're wrong?
(你能想像,你什麼都沒有,只剩下一個挺你的朋友,那是什麼感覺嗎?)
Can you imagine no first dance, freeze-dried romance
(我的女朋友,比會上床的陌生人好一點)
Five-hour phone conversationThe best soy latte that you ever had, and me?
(我跟她在一起很無趣。和她相處時,唯一能讓我快樂的,竟然是我面前那杯咖啡……)
(註:豆漿拿鐵淡而無味,但他的愛情關係比豆漿拿鐵更無味。所以豆漿拿鐵在約會的時候,反而變成人間美味)
But tell me, did the wind sweep you off your feet?
(別再講我的事了,我們聊聊你的生活好嗎?妳是怎麼飛的呢?)
Did you finally get the chance To dance along the light of day
(妳真的能和陽光共舞嗎?)
And head back toward the Milky Way?
(跳完舞後,就回去你美麗的銀河小屋休息?)
But tell me, did you sail across the sun?
(妳越過了太陽嗎?)
Did you make it to the Milky Way To see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated?
(你去過銀河嗎?銀河燦爛嗎?天堂真的有那麼好嗎?)
And tell me, did you fall for a shooting star?
(妳愛上了流星了嗎?)
One without a permanent scar
(流星劃過天空時,你會心痛嗎?)
And then you missed me while you were looking for yourself?
(妳漫遊的時候,有想我嗎?)
And did you finally get the chance To dance along the light of day?
(妳真的有和陽光跳舞嗎?)
And did you fall for a shooting star?
(妳愛上了流星嗎?)
And now you're lonely looking for yourself out there
(妳也會覺得孤單嗎?)